Simple. Easy. Delicious.
That is what these bars are, I have yet to met a person who does not love K Bars bars. Any dessert with peanut butter and chocolate is a winner, but these bars are addicting! Definitely a Gerard family favorite. My mom has been making them every since I can remember and it is the most requested dessert at parties.
The great thing about K bars is that they can be made in a flash, but are impressive enough to bring to a party. Just bring the peanut butter, sugar, and karo syrup to a light boil (being careful not to burn the peanut butter), mix with the corn flakes and dump on some melted chocolate. Let them harden in the fridge, cut into bars and serve!
As to why these bars are called Special K bars I have no idea. I mean they are very special, but you would think maybe they would have special k cereal in them. But this recipe uses good old corn flakes! If I had to guess somewhere along the line special k cereal was probably used and corn flakes were brought in as substitute that decided to stick around!
What could be better than Peanut Butter and Chocolate?
- 4 1/2 cups Corn Flakes (I fill up a 4 cup pyrex measuring cup)
- 1 cup Karo Syrup
- 1 cup peanut butter, (not oily)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups Nestle semi sweet chocolate chips
- Grease 9×13 inch pyrex pan
- Mix Karo syrup, peanut butter and sugar all together in large saucepan
- Heat almost to a boil but being careful not to burn
- Turn off heat and mix in Corn Flakes
- Press into pyrex pan
- Melt choc. chips in pyrex measuring cup, stopping to stir in middle of heating
- Spread chocolate on top of Corn Flake mixture
- Place in refrigerator to cool for 2 hours – keep refrigerated
*I recommend letting the K Bars sit out for 10-15 minutes before cutting into bars. Believe me this makes your life much easier!
Trust me makes these as your next party. They will be a hit!
Shhhh……No one has to know how simple they are!