It’s June! This means lots of watermelon!
Okay, before I even talk about this fun, delicious, crunchy, salad with feta cheese ALL over it I have to tell you about this watermelon.
Here’s the deal, I started seeing watermelons in the store a few weeks ago, but told myself, “not yet, not yet, it is too early” and it indeed was too early, but about a week and halfish ago I gave in and bought one of those giant suckers. Then, everyone left. Well at least all the watermelon eaters in the house anyway. So there I was little old me, stuck with a giant watermelon.
Now trust me, I could totally down that whole thing in one day. Maybe not in one sitting, but definitely in one day. To stop myself from doing this and having a stomach the size of a watermelon my brain started thinking – watermelon recipes?Here’s the truth. While I am learning to like fruit mixed with other foods, watermelon is one of those fruits that for the most part I just want to eat plain. straight up, just watermelon.
Cold, cold fresh-cut watermelon.
But, oh yes there is a but. There is almost always a but.
But… that does not mean I don’t like it mixed with other foods. Cause I promise you, I do!
Did I just confuse the heck out of you guys or what?
I guess what I am trying to say it that my very favorite way to eat watermelon is plain, but I will eat it in any form I can get it, and will greatly enjoy!
Here is what I really want to tell you about this watermelon though.
The day I cut this thing up, it was full on snowing! Yes, snowing. It felt so strange to be cutting a watermelon while it was snowing. I mean, to me watermelon means HOT sunny day’s. Like, hot, hot.
It was so weird.
I am glad to say that it is no longer snowing and yesterday was an awesome day. Full sunshine and pretty perfect start to June!
YES! Now, let’s hope it stays that way cause you never know around here.
They are SO good. Addicting. Crunchy, salty and so crazy easy it is ridiculous. All you need is a few pitas, sea salt, pepper maybe some garlic and olive oil. The just cut them up and bake them for 12 minutes and you are done! Told you, easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Now here is what you absolutely have to do with those homemade pitas chips. One, make this salad (that by the way is pretty darn good and the perfect warm weather salad) and two, scoop that salad up with the chips. Ah huh, just like you were scooping up salsa or guacamole. Except you’re eating salad!
It’s so fun and so good and maybe the only way I ever want to eat salad again.
Nah, gotta keep forging those new food frontiers!
The flavors of this salad all just work. The watermelon, feta and basil with the greek olive and peppers and then throw in the Greek chicken. It’s awesome and it’s crazy healthy, which is good since I can tell you for a fact that Friday I am going to be killing your diets.
Sorry in advance, but not really. It’s gonna be worth it.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large salad bowl (the one you want to serve the salad in) add the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, honey, oregano, basil, crushed red pepper (if using), salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Remove about 1/4 cup of the dressing and place it in a large ziplock bag or a medium size bowl or baking dish. Add the chicken to the bag, bowl or dish and toss well. Place the chicken in the fridge for 20 minutes or up to overnight. Set the remaining dressing aside.
- While the chicken marinates make the pita chips. Cut pitas into 8 wedges (or more if your pitas are big). Pour olive oil into a bowl along with the garlic, oregano and paprika. Brush the pita chips with the olive oil and garlic mixture and then sprinkle with fresh sea salt and pepper. Arrange pita chips on baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the red and orange peppers for about 10 mins or until slightly charred, but still crisp. At the same time grill the chicken for a total of about 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove both from the grill and allow to cool 5 minutes. Then thinly slice the chicken and peppers.
- To the salad bowl with the dressing, add the peppers, tomatoes, olives, red onion and lettuce. Toss well and top with the chicken, watermelon chunks, feta cheese and pita chips. Eat!
I’d say the week’s looking tasty!